Watercolor 64 Instagram Watercolor 64 Pinterest

Thursday 15 August 2013

Life Lately....


Looking forward to: my little brother coming to visit! We only get to see him once or twice a year - living on opposite sides of the country and all that - but his visits are always so special for our family. It is a beautiful thing to see how happy he is becoming as he gets older and finds his place in life. I don't think I could possibly put into words how proud I am of this kid, and of the man he is becoming. Just a shame his lovely girlfriend (who has a lot to do with his happiness) won't be with him this time. Still, roll on September and a Hooke catch up - yay!



Something I am enjoying: After having been given the hot tip on a couple of new series by my very clever sister-in-law - I am not ashamed to say that Jon and I have finished them both already! 
Vikings is a great series about - surprisingly - the Vikings, and in particular a fella called Ragnar Lothbrok and his rise to "fame". Now I don't know if it is the fact he is played by former Aussie model Travis Fimmel or what - but I thoroughly enjoyed the (not historically exactly correct) series a LOT and can't wait for the new series in 2014.


The other series was a French show called The Returned. The premise of the show is a bunch of dead and buried folk returning to the small mountain town they are from - apparently not realising they are dead and having no recollection of what has happened to them. Very mysterious, very intriguing, very can't-stop-watching.... go and watch it - right meow!

Something I am grateful for: I originally started this blog because I felt like all my trying to find a community of infertile folk online to connect with was in vain - that the blogs and groups that I had found, I couldn't relate to in any way. 
Never the less, I have continued to try and find blogs and people out there who are going through the same thing who I could get some peace of mind from. It has dawned on me over the past year - that the most likely reason why I can't exactly relate to the people I have found is because their journeys are so much further along than ours. 
I noticed a lot of them talk in abbreviations which I found hard to understand - IVF, PCOS, HCG, AI, AO, HSG etc etc. At first this annoyed me, I didn't want to discuss something so emotional and personal to me in abbreviations and weird code words (eg BFN = Big Fat Negative - for the longest time I thought it meant something scientific - turns out it's just a polite way of saying "it didn't EFFING work - again!").  
As time has gone on, I have realised that I haven't had to experience half of the things these people have - and that having a simplistic way to describe the turmoil in their lives without "harping on" might have been a relief for them. 
When I read these stories, it occurs to me that we are probably at the starting block on the Monopoly Board of Fertility Treatment, while these folks have gone right the way around with a few "go directly to jail" set backs along the way. 
I recently heard about a lovely couple I know, from my hometown, who have endured 9 IVF transfers (with an assortment of other unpleasant treatments over 7 years!!) and are now expecting their first little munchkin. It kinda floored me a bit actually - what the hell have I been whinging about?? Yeah, we have been trying for years and putting up with the disappointments etc - but there are others who have really put their cards on the table and gone for it and ended up disappointed a LOT more times than us. 
While finances and circumstances are holding things up slightly - we still have a LOT of tricks up our sleeve to try yet - and for that I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment